This meal is perfect after a long day at work when cooking feels like a chore but you want something fresh and packed full of goodness. It takes me about 10 minutes to make. The ingredients are simple and easy to prepare yet the aromatic, thai-inspired flavour of the prawns and the combination of fresh herbs, citrus notes and tasty salads gives the meal a surprising complexity. I love how the kick of the chilli is perfectly complemented by the yoghurt dressing.
Chilli-Citrus Prawns with a Trio of Salads
(Serves two - amounts can be varied)
Ingredients for the Three Salads
Cherry vine tomatoes - quartered
Freshly chopped basil
Extra virgin olive oil to dress
Red onion - finely chopped
Lemon juice (squeeze of)
Cucumber - chopped
Freshly chopped mint
Optional extra: Feta cheese - 4-6 cubes per person
To Make the Three Salads
1. Mix the three salads separately in three bowls to allow the individual flavours to infuse.
2. Lay the green salad onto the plate first.
3, Sprinkle over the red onion mix.
4. Place the tomato salad around the edge.
5. Adding the cubes of feta also around the edges.
Ingredients for the Chilli-Citrus Prawns
Coconut oil 1/2 tablespoon
Garlic - 1 clove crushed
Ginger - 1" squared finely chopped
Red chilli - 1/4 finely chopped
Spring onions - 6-8 tails cut off
King prawns - Either 1/2 or 1 pack cooked prawns per person
Sunflower & Pumpkin seeds - teaspoon of per person
Lime - squeeze of
To Make the Chilli-Citrus Prawns
1. Heat coconut oil with the garlic and ginger over a moderate heat.
2. Add chilli and spring onions and fry for a couple of minutes.
3. Turn the heat up a little and add your prawns and seeds, a squeeze of lime and fry for around 3 minutes longer.
4. Pile prawns on top of the ready made salad.
Ingredients for the Dressing
Greek yoghurt - 1 tablespoon per person
Lime - squeeze of
Mint - 1 0r 2 leaves finely chopped
To Make the Dressing
1. Mix ingredients together.
2. Dollop a tablespoon of dressing on top of prawns.
Cut a whole beetroot into two halves or flower shape and place on top of dressing.
Louise Appel, Personal Trainer
LLouise Appel Personal Trainer, St John's Wood & Personal Trainer Maida Vale offers customised, individual Personal Training and Pilates at Lords Cricket Ground, St John's Wood. Personal Trainer Harpenden & Personal Trainer St Albans is located at EsTR Fitness.